The Sac State City Ambassadors is a program of the advocacy branch of ASI, and more specifically an initiative out of the ASI Office of Governmental Affairs, comprised of Sacramento State students who attend a variety of community events, such as City Council meetings and Chambers of Commerce, to bring about a higher awareness of higher education issues. This committee also heads up efforts in registering Sac State students to vote.
We provide workshops and training sessions that teach students more about the issues and for what ASI stands. Students learn how to coordinate visits to their state representatives to ensure that their representatives know where they stand on issues of higher education.
The mission of the Sacramento State City Ambassadors is to inform, educate, and involve students in civic engagement while bringing awareness to community issues and bringing higher education issues to the community.
City Ambassador Duties
- Promote engagement with the ASI Board of Directors, to help fulfill their Strategic Plan
- Attend advocacy training provided by the Office of Governmental Affairs
- Research city wide issues that will affect students on the Sac State campus
- Table to increase Voter Registration on Sac State’s campus
- If possible, work Polling Booth on campus for State/National Elections
- Attend community events hosted by Assemblymembers, Senators and Representatives
- Meet with the Chambers of Commerce members, City Council members, etc.
- Organize events on campus and in the Sacramento community promoting city issues
- Attend the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) as well as other conferences dealing with higher education advocacy
For more information, on city programs and local businesses: Sacramento City Council
Why should you join City Ambassadors?
These services are great opportunities for students because you gain experience firsthand. Also, you will:
- Gain research experience
- Make professional contacts
- Develop and improve public speaking skills
- Gain leadership skills
- Have a voice to improve higher education issues
- Be involved in the campus community
- Be involved with city issues
- Practice professionalism
How do you join City Ambassadors?
Involvement is open to all students from every major, year, and experience level. The only requirement is that you are a Sac State student interested in making a difference and having his or her voice heard.
- Choose which way you want to get involved
- Choose which activities you are most interested in being a part of
- Contact our Civic Engagement Coordinator to figure out next steps
Contact: Allie Bonet, Civic Engagement Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org