Office of Governmental Affairs
Associated Students, Incorporated’s Office of Governmental Affairs (OGA), is the political voice for Sacramento State students. OGA informs students on the various issues in California regarding higher education and advocates on their behalf of the ASI Board of Directors and Sacramento State students, in the State’s Capitol. OGA offers students leadership development, local and statewide internship referrals, on campus internship opportunities, and volunteer hours for clubs, organizations, class requirements or individual interest.
The mission of the Office of Governmental Affairs is to inform the students of Sacramento State about different political issues that affect both them and their State related to higher education, as well as lobby the State Legislature on behalf of the students and the ASI Board of Directors.
- Student-developed in 2003, the Office of Governmental Affairs (OGA) addresses the need for civic engagement in the student population at Sacramento State.
- The Office of Governmental Affairs informs Sacramento State students about higher education by organizing Voter Registration and Education, Lobbying, and Advocacy.
- OGA offers voter registration and education to Sacramento State campus by tabling in the public and special events; last year OGA registered over 1,000 Sac State students. We maintain our stance as a non-partisan group; we promote all candidates by encouraging all students on campus to vote.
- We inform our students on initiative process and information on propositions and candidates on the ballot. Fall Semester’s biggest project is to have a polling place on campus for our students and surrounding community member to benefit from for the upcoming elections. OGA also provides Citizenship information and sponsors a Citizenship Fair for our students and community members.
- Throughout the year, OGA’s main purpose is to track the status of legislative bills that affect students at Sacramento State and represent the Associated Students Board of Directors position on critical issues in higher education. We also lobby in behalf of Sacramento State students and invite students to advocate on higher educational issues by having the opportunity to join the Lobby Corps.
- The Office of Governmental Affairs refers students to internship and scholarship opportunities available for students as well as community service opportunities on campus. We also can provide students with information on higher educational issues for research or can provide contacts in the Sacramento community.
interested in attending chess (california higher education student summit) ? apply for the registration scholarship